Thursday, June 28, 2012

Fantasy Booking Introduction

I had a wrestling related dream the other night. I was at college with CM Punk and Daniel Bryan and we all lived together. I remember that the place was rather large and Bryan was complaining about not getting a fair shot. So I called up Vince McMahon and said that I would be willing to walk away from the company if Bryan hadn't gotten a fair shot. Note that I had no idea what my job was with the company. I woke up right as Mark Henry and Bryan were to have a match.

I sat there, curled up in bed and thought about what I would do with the company. If I had my choice, my dream job would be head writer. I know that nearly everyone who wouldn't cut it as an actual wrestler would choose writer or booker the next best dream job with the WWE by default. But admittedly I have a real aspiration for it. I am currently going to school for film at a good university. One that pushes the independent filmmaking route with a strong theoretical background. It isn't one of those tech schools that simply put you on an accelerated course with no direction.

My first films started out like every other film student's work. To put this in perspective for non-film students, nearly 95% (a rough estimate) of all film student work contains one or more of the following: murder, suicide, hit-men, cigarettes, drugs, sex, nudity, swearing, love, voice-overs etc. It gets tedious viewing work after work that is nearly all the same. But this is something that most film students go through. At least in my experience, they start to branch out and think creative. They start thinking of a message that they want to convey first instead of coming up with a concept and then pasting whatever meaning they can to it.

My first film was about a kid who committed suicide and didn't know he was dead until he disappeared. My second film was about a straight edge gang which was supposed to mirror the yakuza. (I have been involved in the hardcore straight-edge music scene since I was a teenage and am a fan of yakuza films.) So my work was, admittedly, really shitty. Neither piece is available and have been since destroyed.

However, I eventually matured and started working on other stuff that was more personal. I am the type of person to take whatever interests I have and start to critically analyze the work. I've read more books and articles on media studies and specific subjects (for example: The Interactive Narrative Logic of televised Pro-Wrestling) Thus, with this maturing I am left asking the question that many “smart” wrestling fans ask themselves. Why do I watch this?

What I really mean is “Why do I watch the WWE?” To be quite honest, I think it is due to the availability of it. I love Chikara and many independents, but I simply can't keep up with them without spoilers. But when I think about this question, Chikara founder Mike Quackenbush's words seem to resurface. In an AVClub interview, he said “I’ve often said that wrestling is art; but for now, it seems consigned to remaining low art. It’s a male soap opera. We’ve got to earn our place at the grown-up table.”

Much like gaming, another art medium that I view as having real potential but is often viewed as “low-brow”, I want to be able to defend pro-wrestling for the best it can be. Unfortunately with WWE, and TNA which I don't watch regularly, these best moments are few and far between.

So, I decided to start this blog. I hope to find some sort of understanding in the art form that is pro-wrestling through fantasy booking and perhaps some other critical analysis. Part of this is also feeding into that dream job as head writer for the WWE. With that being said, I want a real discussion with these posts. I am an active member of /r/squaredcircle over on Reddit and enjoy a lot of the real good discussion there. So if what I say works or doesn't work, let me know. Send me suggestions and if my ideas would garner a reaction. I enjoy hearing from people and want to create an interesting dynamic here.

No comments:

Post a Comment